Thursday, May 19, 2016

Inspiration

I am contemplating inspiration. What is inspiration? Where does it come from? It is tied to spirit from the origin of the word itself (see below) and in my experience. What makes inspiration come in full force at times and seem to disappear at others? Is it somehow gone, or are we just not acting on it or listening to it? Maybe we just don't have the time to respond to it?  

Looking back on my blog, there are many posts in 2013 and 2014 when I started the blog, but not many in the 2015 or this year. My inspiration/call to write varies and it seems I am most inspired when my spiritual path is more fulfilled/on track. But sometimes I am fulfilled and not writing. I am just content or my focus is elsewhere. I don't think it necessarily means that I have not been inspired at all in the recent years, but just inspired in a different way and not feeling drawn to do the poetry or writing at these times. But I do feel that when I am most in sync with my spirit, the poetry and writing just flow from me. It is a good sign that I am on track. I am wondering if right now maybe another form of writing is coming as I seem to be drawn to post about my thoughts on certain words/topics.

Here are some definitions of inspiration:
  • the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
  • something that makes someone want to do something or that gives someone an idea about what to do or create
  • a force or influence that inspires someone
  • a person, place, experience, etc., that makes someone want to do or create something
  • a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation
  • the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions
  • a divine influence directly and immediately exerted upon the mind or soul
  • the divine quality of the writings or words of a person so influenced
  • a sudden brilliant, creative or timely idea
Origin of the word inspiration:
Middle English (in the sense ‘divine guidance’): via Old French from late Latin inspiratio(n-), from the verb inspirare (see inspire).

Origin of word inspire:
Middle English enspire, from Old French inspirer, from Latin inspirare ‘breathe or blow into,’ from in- ‘into’ + spirare ‘breathe.’ The word was originally used of a divine or supernatural being, in the sense ‘impart a truth or idea to someone.’

Origin is similar to that for the word spirit:
Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French, from Latin spiritus ‘breath, spirit,’ from spirare ‘breathe.’

So it seems that when the word originated they knew that spirit was tied to inspiration. Breathe into. I like that. Spirit is tied to breath and we connect to spirit with our breath. So we breathe life into our creations when we are inspired. Spirit and inspiration are really one in the same. The creations are an extension of our spirit and what it is experiencing or wants to express. It is truly a part of ourselves that is being expressed out into the world for everyone to experience, to connect them to our spirit and remember that we are one. We all breathe the same air and come from the same source. Inspiration is truly a result of living in tune with our spirit even if for a brief moment in time. One breath, one moment is all it takes and that spark of inspiration can fuel our lives for many more moments and even days or years or a lifetime.

When I look back at the result of my inspirations, it feeds my spirit and soul. I can remember the feeling that inspired the work. It takes me back to that moment and fuels me again. It breathes that life back into me once more. It is an amazing feeling to both be inspired and relive that through your creations.

I think that if we listen and get quiet and let everything but our spirit/breath fall away, then we tune into the universal force of inspiration and creation. It becomes effortless and flows from us as from a fountain. The eternal spring. It is never ending and we can all partake of it if we but allow it. We each have different things that inspire us and unique ways of expressing that inspiration, but it is all connected and that is why when we encounter something inspired, it touches us deep in our core. We tap into that source from which it came and if we breathe it in, we can fuel our own spark of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment